November 4-December 16
Thursdays, 12:00-1:15 PM EDT/EST
(no class November 25)
Join us live or via recording
Free Introductory Class
Thursday, October 28
12:00-1:15 PM EDT
No registration necessary. Details forthcoming.
This may be one of the most important classes we have ever offered!
If you add up the number of hours you spend sitting, the total might surprise you. Many people sit for one reason or another (during meals, travel, work, recreation, and rest) for 12-14 hours a day!
The problem is, sitting for extended periods of time is neither natural nor easy for our body. As far as our skeleton and muscles are concerned, sitting is a real challenge; one that impacts our current and future health and comfort.
If you don’t know how to sit safely and ‘intelligently’, it is highly likely that you will experience pain and tension in your back, neck, shoulders, if not in your teens or twenties, then later on. Over time, sitting in any other way may contribute to difficulties with your posture, ease of movement, breathing, attention, and mood.
Fortunately, we can easily learn how to sit in a safer, better organized, and more flexible way. In this class series, David Zemach-Bersin presents gentle Feldenkrais lessons to reduce the stress of sitting on your skeletal system and musculature and give you better options. This series will be restorative and protective, and support all of your other activities.
You will learn:
- Exercises and perspectives to help you survive sitting
- How to protect the curves of your spine (they're essential to your postural health)
- How to use your sit bones to support your body, upright, in a comfortable way
- Which chairs help -or hinder- healthy sitting
- How to maintain flexibility and freedom of movement while sitting
- How your breathing can support healthy sitting
- Quick, helpful exercises to use while taking breaks, and to help you heal from too much sitting
"David has a very calm and gentle voice. His enlightening words and comments on our bodies and health are exceptional.
Not only are the online lessons very clear and well-organized, but the additional Q&As are also beneficial for deeper understanding.
As a middle-aged person and a movement practitioner myself, I can not stress enough how greatly I have benefited."
- Six Awareness Through Movement® lessons, plus the introductory lesson (60-75 min)
- Opportunity to submit questions for David to answer during recorded Q&A sessions
- Assistance during the lesson (if needed) from our support team
- Recordings added to your Feldenkrais Access library approx. 48 hours after each live class
- Recording shows alternative position options (i.e. chair)
- Option to download recordings
- Lifetime access to recordings
- 25% discount on one Feldenkrais Access on-demand program
- Feldenkrais Guild members save an extra 5% with coupon code SITTING5
- Feldenkrais trainees and essential workers save an extra 10% with coupon code SITTING10
Scholarships available. Find out more.
Unfavorable exchange rate? If you live in a country with an unfavorable exchange rate and want to join us, we're happy to help.
David Zemach-Bersin graduated from the first Feldenkrais training held in the U.S.. He directs Feldenkrais Professional Training Programs in New York City, and teaches in programs around the world. David has maintained a continual private practice since 1977, working with both adults and children. He is recognized for forty-five years of dedication to the Feldenkrais Method and for his contribution to preserving Dr. Feldenkrais’ legacy. David served as President of the Feldenkrais Guild® of North America and is the Co-Founder of Feldenkrais Resources, the Feldenkrais Institute of New York, and the Feldenkrais Foundation. David is known as a warm, highly skilled and enthusiastic teacher. He currently directs Feldenkrais Access, and has been teaching classes online for both Feldenkrais students and Practitioners, and the public since 2020. He lives in Bucks County, PA.